My garden is brimming with basil and zucchini. It’s growing faster than I can keep up with really so I am making it my weekend mission to utilize it in recipes. Or freeze it. Or give it away. So many options really.
Pesto is a pretty easy thing to make using just a few simple ingredients. I found this simple recipe over at Frugal Girls. I doubled her original recipe because I had that much basil people. I have a food processor and a Vitamix but I decided to use the Vitamix for this recipe.
Homemade Basil Pesto
- 4 cups Fresh Basil Leaves, packed
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
- Combine Basil Leaves, Pine Nuts, Garlic and Parmesan Cheese in Food Processor or Blender.
- Pulse or Blend ingredients until combined.
- Slowly pour in Olive Oil while running food processor or blender on a low speed.
- Add a pinch of pepper or salt to taste.
- Save prepared pesto in Mason jars or Tupperware until ready to use.
Pesto is so good on fresh crusty bread, mixed with pasta and it even tastes great on grilled chicken.